Welcome to Term 1 at Aycliffe Community Primary School! We are very excited to welcome all children and parents to Class 1 (Les Peches).
Our topic this term is ‘All about me’ and all areas of learning will be closely linked to this topic. Within this topic we will be looking at; our five senses, our emotions and our bodies. We have outlined the main areas of learning we will be developing with your child through Term 1, we hope you find this useful.
PE will begin once all children are in full time and we will be focussing on improving gross and fine motor control. We have a ‘Funky Fingers’ area in our classroom where your child can develop their finger strength to help them hold a pencil effectively and improve their mark making. Along with our topic we will be looking at being clean and healthy and why it is important.
Personal, Social and Emotional
This term we will be focusing on providing a smooth transition to school life for your child. We will be encouraging children to become confident with our school routines and abide by the class rules in place. Each child has been allocated an in class ‘learning buddy’ to support them in developing friendships and their own self confidence alongside giving them a ‘talk partner’ to aid their learning.
Communication and Language
Throughout this term we will be developing your child’s ability to listen carefully during carpet time and maintain concentration for longer periods of time. We will be playing a variety of games to aid your child in listening and following instructions. Additionally we will be developing your child’s confidence in speaking in front of small groups.
This term we will be developing your child’s knowledge of numbers 1 – 9. We will be doing a variety of practical activities and games to ensure they are confident with numeral recognition, number sequence, counting and sorting by shape and colour.
Expressive Art and Design
To promote imaginative play we have two role-play areas within our learning environment which are linked with our topic, these are a hospital and a home corner. We will also be listening to a variety of different sounds including musical instruments and the children are encouraged to join in with singing daily.
Knowledge and Understanding of the World
We will be developing your child’s knowledge and understanding of the world through our topic. The children will be encouraged to investigate using their five senses and we will be making full use of our forest. We will also be developing their computing skills, in particular their mouse control.
This term we will be exploring a variety of fiction and non-fiction books based on our topic. Additionally we will be preparing them to hear the sounds in words by listening to different noises along with looking at rhyming words. We will be developing your child’s fine motor skills in preparation for writing letters and words. Please continue at home to allow your child plenty of opportunities to mark make and practise writing their name.
• Please ensure you have spare change of clothes in your child’s bag just in case an accident happens.
• The children will have access to the outside area during their Child Initiated time all year round, please ensure your child has a waterproof coat and jumper at school as we come into the rainy, cold months.
• Please could you make sure all your child’s school uniform is clearly named, including shoes.
• We have Golden Time every Friday afternoon for 30 minutes as a reward for good behaviour. Class 1 are able to bring in a toy from home that they are allowed to play with in this time, however no guns are allowed.
• Your child will not be able to take part in PE if they are wearing earrings. As Physical development occurs daily within our class as part of their learning development, please ensure that they are easy for your child to take out.
Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to working with you over the year. Should you have any concerns or questions please do not hesitate to come and see me after school and I will be happy to help.
Miss V Gollop
Les Peches (Class 1)