Welcome back to Year 3 (for Term 5).
Over the next term, Year 3 will focus on our topic ‘classical music goes mayhem’. This will cover Music, History, Design Technology and Art. We will be learning about different classical music, composing our own songs, creating artwork inspired by our favourite music, organising our very own year 3 orchestra performance, designing, making and improving our own musical instruments. We will also create our own leaflets to encourage others to listen to a range of music.
We will start the term studying the story of ‘The Tortoise and the Hare’. The class will be story mapping, developing character profiles and writing our own recount letters about a significant event in our own lives.
We will still be running weekly grammar sessions, comprehension practice, hand writing and spelling tests. Spelling lists will be a combination of topic related vocabulary, recurring misspelt words and words from the Year 3/4 spelling list.
In Mathematics we will start the term learning about fractions. We will be comparing and ordering unit fractions and fractions with the same denominators, recognising and showing (using diagrams), equivalent fractions with small denominators, adding and subtracting fractions with the same denominator within one whole, and solving problems that involve all of the above.
We are continuing our ‘rocks’ Science topic for the first three weeks of term, and we will be exploring, talking about, testing and developing ideas, so that we broaden our scientific view of the World around us. We will be exploring/understanding the following;
• Compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties.
• Describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when the remains of things that have lived are trapped within rock.
• Recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter.
For the following three weeks of term, we will be focusing on our Science topic ‘plants’. We will be exploring/understanding the following;
• Identifying and describing the functions of different parts of plants; roots, stem, leaves and flowers.
• Exploring the requirements of plants for life and growth (air, light, water, nutrients from soil and room to grow) and how they vary from plant to plant.
• Investigate the ways in which water is transported within plants.
• Explore the role of flowers in the life cycle of flowering plants, including pollination, seed formation and seed dispersal.
In PE we will be concentrating on team games, focusing on communication and team skills.
PE will continue to take place on a Monday, however some changes to schedule may occur, so please ensure children have a suitable PE kit in school every day.
In RE the children will be learning about Islam, and the focus this term will be learning about Muhammad, the 99 names of Allah, the Qur’an, and Islamic calligraphy and patterns.
Home learning for this term is as follows:
Reading books: each child will continue to be given home reading books every week. It is helpful if you ask your child questions about the book as they read, to ensure they understand the text. Please note, when reading books have been finished would you please make a suitable comment and sign the reading records to ensure the books are changed. Homework books will still be sent home on Fridays and are to be handed in by the following Monday.
Please do not hesitate to come and see me either before or after school if you have any questions.